A Writer of Delightfully Off-Beat Children's Stories

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Second Step

The biggest step in publishing, I believe, is to continue.

Past the rejection letters that might not ever even come, or the little jerk inside of you who hates your dreams.

And I have made it my goal to be a professional at continuing, until I become a professional author.

A continue-master like Barbara Godwin, who is building a Twitter empire so that she can advertise her lovely books, taking that every-day step even though it is difficult to persist at, I imagine.

For me, it isn't a question of whether I will publish, but when.  Because I am going to keep writing and mailing off books (like Strange Tales of Salem and Sugar Cleveland, and A Cause to Cringe: The Door in the Dust).  And I am going to work myself to the bone to improve them all.

And when a letter comes back that says, "I didn't like your characters," even though I loved them, I will murder the little literary beings on the pages they sleep on and recreate them, or rethink them, or whatever the publishing world requests.

Because I don't mind bowing my un-heralded head to the establishment and following their advice.  For goodness sake, they have been doing this much longer than I have.

That is a good point to make.  Anymore, I don't think it is unique that I first wrote novels at 11 years-old.  And I don't think that my early start is just going to whisk my manuscripts into the lovely hands of an editor who will publish them for me.

No there is no shortcut--I am going to work for it.  And that is the secret to knowing I will succeed.  Because I will never give up.

Anybody feeling that confidence too?

No comments:

Post a Comment