A Writer of Delightfully Off-Beat Children's Stories

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When "You've Got Mail" is Keeping Your Life Together

My posts have all published in some wacky order.  *Rubs forehead

I think it is time I admit a few (more) delicately personal things to you.
  1. I own a Great Dane/mastiff mix.  I also rent an apartment for my wife, son, and I from family.  They don't know about the dog.
  2. At one point in my life I fell asleep at the wheel over fifty-seven times in one trip.  I know, it's criminal.  In my defense, I will never do it again.  Also in my defense, I was nineteen.  Also in my defense, I was in the middle of nowhere between Canada and Duluth, Minnesota.
  3. You've Got Mail is amazing.
Nora Ephron, people.  (If you haven't paid attention to the details in that movie, shame on you.)

Few times does film ascend beyond print, and in my very small opinion, I would like to say that You've Got Mail is a movie I will put down a book for.

*Swoons

Every single second of that movie is as delightful of finding a box of chocolates on your doorstep that you know did not come from a homeless man.  Just one quote:

Joe Fox: I like Patricia.  I *love* Patricia.  Patricia makes coffee nervous.

Beyond the silly love Kels and I have for the way that Tom Hanks shakes the fence outside of the coffee shop, there are moments when I think that movie has some of the most lovely things to say about the human soul.

Such as when Kathleen Kelly says, "Sometimes I wonder about my life.  I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?  So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?  I don't really want an answer.  I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void.  So good night, dear void."

Anyway, here is to You've Got Mail, my I Ching.

No comments:

Post a Comment