A Writer of Delightfully Off-Beat Children's Stories

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Master Study of Fun-ness


I'm still studying Harry Potter, because I want to know how she sold so many copies.  Today, I am focusing on an intangible that directly contributes, I believe: how she made wizards so much fun.

Here are several instances in which Rowling cleverly defined the wizarding world, starting where I left off last time:
  • "All I got were a few shrinking door keys and a biting kettle."
  • "Well, dear . . . you'll find that [it was legal to enchant the car].  As long as he wasn't intending to fly [it]."
  • Ron's posters of the witches and wizards on the Chudley Cannons.
I think these examples sum up very well the attitude she has toward making her books fun.  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment