A Writer of Delightfully Off-Beat Children's Stories

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Power of Half an Hour


Because of a great video on productivity, I tried a new method of writing today, and I was very impressed with the results.

There were two premises to my success:
  1. I gave myself a deadline.  Half an hour to write 1,000 words.
  2. I made myself start, and I planned a break for when I finished.
Thirty minutes later, I had 1,000 words, some of my favorite so far in the second book in A Cause to Cringe, and I felt great.

Forty-five minutes later, I forced myself to stop.  My word count was 1,500, and I leaped for joy.

So, for anyone out there in a writing jam, try this.  Forcing yourself to start and giving yourself a small deadline really kick-start your brain function.

No comments:

Post a Comment