A Writer of Delightfully Off-Beat Children's Stories

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Walking and Crawling

As my son Orion turns seven months old in a few days, and has just started crawling, I was thinking about the distance he has moved during his lifetime. He has probably crawled about thirty yards total on his own, a terrific accomplishment for a seven month old.

And yet, with us, he has visited four states and travelled thousands of miles, carried by us.

I hate to seem pretentious, but it reminds me of God.

We, as adults, do amazing and incredible things, impressive for mortal humans. With science, art, music, and plain determination, we have done things as impressive as stepping on the moon and sculpting the David.

But in the grand scheme of things, we are much greater than our numerous accomplishments, and that is because God has carried us on his hip.

Or in his hands, or on his shoulders.

And as impressed as I am with Orion for crawling, or man for creating complex symphonies, my admiration goes out to the God who has traversed time and space, and is as much our senior as I am my boy's.

No comments:

Post a Comment